If you’ve ever wished you could drink peanut sauce through a straw, this is the soup for you.
Since discovering Thai food years ago (as inauthentic as it may be in my world), I’ve fallen in love. I make Pad Thai for dinner (find our go-to recipe in our 31 Meals Cookbook) several times a month, primarily because we love any and every excuse to douse things in peanut sauce.
I love serving our Pad Thai with loads of fresh diced carrots for added crunch and nutrition. Carrots drizzled in Sriracha and peanut sauce is a trifecta of flavor perfection. If you’ve not experienced it, please do (immediately).
I think you know where I’m going with this…
Carrot soup, you guys.
Carrot soup PLUS peanut butter, chili garlic sauce and basil. LIT’rally like drinking peanut sauce through a straw but with far less guilt and way more nutritiounal value. For the win!
Benefits of this recipe:
7 ingredients (plus desired toppings)
Perfect use for spring carrots and fresh basil
Feeds a crowd with ease
Freezes well for easy dinners/lunches later on
Plus, look at how gorgeous and colorful it is! Beta carotene much?
So what does it taste like?! It’s
Not too spicy
And the perfect light dinner or lunch
I highly recommend topping yours with a combination of the following things:
- Full fat coconut milk – for an extra touch of creamy decadence/sweet coconut flavor
- Sriracha or chili garlic sauce – for extra heat
- Fresh basil, cilantro or mint – for a fresh boost of herbacious flavor
- A bit of agave or brown sugar – for added sweetness
If you make this soup, let me know what you think in the comments or by taking a picture and tagging it #minimalistbaker on Instagram! I’d love to see. Cheers to healthy eats, friends!
- 1/2 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 pound carrots, scrubbed (or peeled) and chopped (~4 cups)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups Veggie Stock + 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup creamy or crunchy salted natural peanut butter (use less for a less intense PB flavor)
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce (use less for less spice)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Dice onion and garlic. Add to pot with 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil (or nonstick spray). Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper, then add veggie stock and 2 cups of water and stir.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender (test by cutting a larger piece of carrot in half - it should cut with ease).
- Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth and creamy. (Cover with a towel in case your lid leaks any soup while blending.)
- Add peanut butter and chili garlic sauce to the blender and blend to combine, using a 'puree' or 'liquify' setting if you have it.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. For a touch of added sweetness, add a Tbsp or so of brown sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan). Add more chili garlic sauce for more heat.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil or herbs of choice. A drizzle of coconut milk will add a creamy, sweet touch. Serve with sriracha for extra heat.