It’s about that time for holiday parties galore, and for that, you need a dip! If I’m invited to your gathering, this is definitely the one I’m bringing.
I take my appetizers seriously.
This cheesy kale and spinach dip is my vegan take on classic spinach and artichoke dip, which is typically laden with cheese – my former love.
But since we’ve broken up, I’ve replaced the cheese-shaped hole in my heart with cashew cream and vegan parmesan and haven’t looked back. Who needs the real thing when the substitutes are healthier and taste amazing? That’s what I say.
This dip requires just 9 ingredients – hooray! And it comes together in about 30 minutes (once your cashews are soaked).
Plus, it has all my loves:
All that’s missing is a toasty baguette for scooping; don’t worry, we’ll get to that.
Once you’ve mixed your ingredients together it just takes a quick bake in the oven to get it piping hot and ready for serving.
I preferred a toasted baguette, but you could also serve it with veggies, tortilla chips, or any other crackers of choice.
This dip is amazing! It’s
Loaded with greens
And perfect for holiday parties
If you make this dip, we hope you love it! As always, share a picture on Instagram with the #minimalistbaker if you do! We’d love to see this dip in action.
- 1 1/4 cups cashews, soaked overnight or in boiling hot water for 1 hour (then thoroughly drained)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (sub up to half with water)
- 4-6 Tbsp nutritional yeast (to taste)
- 3/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeeze drained
- 3 cups kale, finely chopped (or just double up on spinach)
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- veggies, chips, or 1/2 baguette sliced and toasted, for serving (optional)
- If you haven’t soaked your cashews yet, do so the night before in room temperature water, or 1 hour before in very hot water. Drain thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a small, oven-safe serving dish (see photo for size reference).
- Add soaked and drained cashews to a blender with almond milk and puree into a cream. Add 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 3/4 tsp sea salt and mix once more. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. You want it pretty cheesy and well-salted, so I added the full 6 Tbsp nutritional yeast. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil and then add spinach and kale. Season with a healthy pinch (1/4 tsp) of sea salt and black pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until wilted, then remove from heat.
- Add 3/4 of the cashew cream (see photo) and toss to combine. If it can take more, add it in. Otherwise, reserve the rest for pasta or other uses. Add 2 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese for additional texture/flavor and stir.
- Add to prepared baking dish and top with remaining vegan parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degree for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through and sightly browned on top.
- Before serving, top with additional vegan parmesan cheese if desired. Other add-ons might include red pepper flake or hemp seeds.
- Serve with assorted vegetables, tortilla chips, crackers, or toasted baguette. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to a few days, though best when fresh.