Welcome. Minimalist Baker is a website devoted to simple cooking. All recipes require 10 ingredients or less, 1 bowl or 1 pot, or 30 minutes or less to prepare.
I’m Dana and along with my husband, John, we founded Minimalist Baker in 2012. While we’re originally from the Midwest, we’re currently situated in Portland, Oregon. (Visiting? Check out our Dining Guide!)
You may notice most of our recipes are special-diet friendly, specifically plant-based and gluten-free. This is for three reasons:
1. Dana is lactose intolerant and began experimenting with dairy- and egg-free baking in 2010.
2. Many of our friends are gluten free so the recipes started to go more in that direction to accomodate their needs. And in 2016, Dana started eating gluten free as well (primarily for health).
3. We think everyone can benefit from incorporating more plants into their diets, and that’s a message we love to promote.
The Journey Here
While this has never been a strictly vegan or gluten-free blog, most new recipes fall into these two categories. This is simply because we enjoy eating and cooking this way and love making food everyone can enjoy.
We don’t subscribe to any one diet (nope, we’re not vegan!), but plant-based cooking and baking has become the focus for this blog with our top priority always being on simple, delicious food.
Dana is the recipe developer, content creator, and food photographer behind Minimalist Baker. She has been blogging in some form since 2010 and developed a deep love for recipe experimentation and food photography in the process. She is the author of Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking, 31 Meals Cookbook and co-creator of The Food Photography School and the Essentials of Building a Great Food Blog Course. She’s also an exercise enthusiast, green smoothie addict, and aspiring wine and coffee aficionado. Her achilles heel is an almond milk latte. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
John handles all-things technical, design, branding, and product development. He writes blogging tips and creates tutorials on our Blogger Resources page. He’s also an airline miles-earning badass, lover of the finer things in life (i.e. wine, craft coffee and San Pellegrino), and traveler extraordinaire. Follow him on Twitter, Snapchat (jshltz) and Instagram.
If you’re new to Minimalist Baker, check out these five favorite recipes – a mix of savory and sweet:
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Peanut Tofu Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry
- The World’s Easiest Cinnamon Rolls
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
Top Cooking Resources
Shop (what’s in our kitchen)
Have a question about a recipe? Check out our Recipe FAQ!
Top Technical Resources
Are you a fellow blogger? Check out all of our free blogging tips and tutorials over on the Blogger Resources page.
Learn through video how to take better food photos with our Food Photography School.
image by Katie Huisman