Pizza. I could eat it e’eryday. But, then I would probably turn into a big pizza, which is not what I want out of life.
Thankfully, there’s a solution. I can reserve My Favorite Vegan Pizza for weekends, The Best Ever Gluten-Free Pizza for Tuesdays, and this lovely mushroom pizza pie for Thursdays.
You see? It’s not every day. It’s like every other day. That’s different, and therefore, totally acceptable. #itsscience #rhondadontask
I really did want to make portobello pizzas because I have a thing for mushrooms and wanted to make pizza night a bit more wholesome and plant-based.
Even though pizza with traditional crust is fine, especially when laden with lycopene-rich tomato sauce and loads of veggies and nutritional yeast, it’s still like eating bread. This was my (ultimate pizza) cheat.
And guess what? While it’s not a 1:1 pizza swap, it’s a lovely change of pace.
So what does it taste like?
Tender with a bit of bite
Loaded with tomato sauce (the best part)
Crunchy from the veg
Perfectly “cheesy” from the vegan parmesan
& Not like you’re eating a loaf of bread.
Win-win! If you make this pie, you should probably take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram. If you do, it would make me so happy. If you don’t, it would make me so sad.
So, make me happy. OK? OK. Good talk. (Cheers!)
Vegan Portobello Pizzas
- 3 large portobello mushrooms (wiped clean // stems removed)
- Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup mixed veggies (onion, mushroom, tomato, green pepper, etc.)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C).
- Place cleaned mushrooms on a baking sheet and lightly drizzle both sides with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Then bake for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prep veggies and prepare pizza sauce if you haven’t done so already.
- Once par-baked, pull mushrooms out of the oven and top with desired amount of pizza sauce, veggies, and a sprinkle of vegan parmesan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the veggies are mostly cooked.
- Serve with fresh basil, red pepper flake and extra vegan parmesan.
*Inspired by Life as a Strawberry and All Recipes
Leave a Comment & Rating!