Have a favorite recipe that uses cream of mushroom soup? We’ve got you with this healthier homemade take on the classic canned version. Our version is full of recognizable ingredients and is vegan and gluten-free! We’re in love.
It can be used just like the kind you find in a can but will add even more flavor to your favorite casseroles and more! With just 1 pot, 9 ingredients, and 25 minutes required, your green bean casserole awaits, friends! Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Vegan Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
Can we share a secret? 🤫 If you’ve made our Vegan Green Bean Casserole (it’s a fan favorite!), you’ve made cream of mushroom soup and might not know it.
To make this modified gluten-free version, start by sautéing shallot or onion in oil, then add chopped mushrooms and cook out most of their moisture. Next, season with garlic, salt, and black pepper.
An optional pinch of nutmeg gives it a warming, pungent flavor.
You’re going to LOVE this homemade cream of mushroom soup. It’s:
Vegan + gluten-free
& Made with recognizable ingredients!
It’s a Thanksgiving classic perfect for green bean casserole and also works well in other casseroles, pasta, or any recipe that calls for canned cream of mushroom soup.
More Thanksgiving Classics
- Easy Orange Cranberry Sauce (3 Ingredients!)
- How to Make Vegan Buttermilk
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (No Drain, 20 Minutes!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vegan Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (DIVIDED)
- 1 large shallot, finely diced (1 large shallot yields ~3/4 cup or 120 g // or sub white or yellow onion)
- 1 ½ cups roughly chopped mushrooms (cremini or white button // 4 oz yield ~ 1 ½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp MB 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend* (or all-purpose if not gluten-free)
- 1 cup mushroom broth or stock (or sub vegetable broth)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or other neutral, dairy-free milk)
- 1 tiny pinch nutmeg (optional)
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp (15 ml) oil over medium-low heat. Add diced shallot and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of oil and the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they have lost most of their moisture — about 6-7 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the gluten-free flour and toss to evenly coat the mushrooms. Slowly add the mushroom stock (or broth) and dairy-free milk to the mushroom mixture while stirring continuously. Sprinkle in the nutmeg (optional) and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or the freezer for 1 month. Use in casseroles, pasta, or any recipe that calls for canned cream of mushroom soup. You can add more milk to loosen if needed when ready to use!
*Our DIY Gluten-Free Flour Blend and similar store-bought blends also work in this recipe but don’t thicken it quite as well. Add more, if desired, for a thicker result.
*Adapted from our Vegan Green Bean Casserole.