Oh, cauliflower – what can’t you do?
Seriously, I think I’m in love.
This 6-ingredient, 30-minute recipe is bound to wow your guests this holiday season (and beyond). Cauliflower mocks mashed potatoes beautifully, and it all starts by steaming your cauliflower until tender.
While that’s happening, sauté garlic in some vegan butter (or olive oil – see notes if avoiding oil / butter). Or, keep your garlic raw for a punchier, stronger garlic flavor!
Once steamed, transfer cauliflower in batches to a food processor (or use an immersion blender) to blend until smooth. You’ll add more salt and pepper to taste, and a dash of dairy-free milk to get a velvety, creamy texture.
Major swoon! We hope you love this dish. It’s:
Easy to make
Hearty and comforting
& utterly delicious
This would make a beautiful side dish for the holidays and beyond! Top with more fresh garlic, vegan butter, and your favorite fresh herbs to really dress it up. You could even blend in a little nutritional yeast to add cheesy flavor, or vegan cream cheese for more creaminess.
For more holiday side inspiration, be sure to check out our Roasted Squash Salad with Crispy Shallot and Balsamic Reduction, Easy Vegan Gluten Free Biscuits, French Style Potato Salad, or Abundance Kale Salad with Savory Tahini Dressing.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vegan Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter* (or olive oil)
- 3-4 cloves garlic* (minced)
- ~1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ¼ – ½ cup unsweetened plain almond milk (to help with pureeing)
FOR GARNISH optional
- Fresh parsley or chives
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Cut cauliflower into even florets and steam in a large pot with a steamer basket (covered) until very tender – about 15-20 minutes depending on size of pot and cauliflower florets. Remove from heat and set aside uncovered to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, sauté the garlic in the vegan butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until just slightly browned (be careful not to burn). Or, you can keep your garlic raw for a punchier, stronger garlic flavor! Turn off heat and set aside.
- Transfer half of the cauliflower to a food processor (or use an immersion blender to purée cauliflower in a pot or saucepan) and process until puréed. (The amount of cauliflower you’re able to purée at once will vary based on the size of your food processor). Then add half of the garlic butter as well as half of the salt and pepper and process until well combined.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt and pepper to taste, garlic for intense garlic flavor, vegan butter for buttery flavor, or almond milk to help the cauliflower purée. Note: You could even blend in a little nutritional yeast to add cheesy flavor, or vegan cream cheese for more creaminess (optional).
- Transfer to a mixing bowl or serving platter and cover to keep warm. Then repeat this blending and seasoning process until all the cauliflower is whipped and seasoned.
- Garnish with herbs and vegan parmesan cheese (optional), and another sprinkle of salt and pepper and serve hot. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days, or 1 month in the freezer. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop in a saucepan until hot.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with lesser amount of garlic and almond milk and without optional ingredients.
*Recipe (as written) yields ~4 1/2 cups.