I remember going grocery shopping with my friend Lisa once and we pulled over to the in-house Starbucks to grab a drink before the hot and heavy produce picking commenced. Lisa is one to indulge when she’s earned it, eating a plate of alfredo pasta if she made it to her morning spin class. Effort = reward; I like it.
On this particular day she ordered a luxurious looking coconut mocha frappuccino with piles of whipped cream, toasted coconut and chocolate syrup dripping down the side. I jealously watched her slurp it down and she must’ve caught on because she offered me a few sips, saying she couldn’t finish it all by herself (though I believe she probably could’ve). How generous.
Oh my, it was heavenly. Consider this my healthier homage.
This beverage is so simple to throw together. Simply freeze coconut milk into ice cubes, toast up your coconut flake, then add it all to a blender with a little chocolate syrup, cocoa powder and strong brewed coffee. Oh dear. Takes me right back to the grocery store, only this time it’s all mine.
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, chilled (french press or cold brew is best)
- 8 coconut milk ice cubes (or other milk) (~3/4 cup full-fat or light coconut milk)*
- 1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flake + more for topping
- 2 Tbsp light chocolate syrup (or other chocolate sauce) + more for topping
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- The night before making, pour your (well-shaken) coconut milk (about 1 can) into an ice cube tray. You'll need 8-10 cubes for one drink, and one can yields about one full tray. Save the leftover cubes for another drink.
- In the morning, toast your coconut by spreading 1/4 on a baking sheet and cooking for 3-5 minutes in a 350-degree F (190 C) oven.
- Next place all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth and well combined.
- To thicken, add more coconut ice cubes. To thin, add more coffee or chocolate syrup.
- Serve immediately, or freeze for later. Top with coconut whipped cream, more toasted coconut and a drizzle of chocolate syrup, if desired. Nutrition does not reflect toppings.