Looking for another way to enjoy our fan-favorite Smoky Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas? Or have a batch in your freezer and want to take them to a whole new level? Then this nourish bowl is just what you need!
Roasted sweet potatoes pair beautifully with smoky black eyed peas and mango habanero hot sauce for an incredibly satisfying, flavorful, nutrient-packed, plant-based, and gluten-free entrée. It’s perfect for meal prep and is weeknight-friendly when you already have a batch of black eyed peas on hand. Let us show you how it’s done!
This recipe begins with making a batch of our Smoky Black Eyed Peas & Greens. With an Instant Pot they’re ready in about 45 minutes, but we have a shortcut for getting nourish bowls to the table even faster: freezing!
We like to freeze the cooked black eyed peas & greens in glass jars (like leftover nut butter jars), then defrost and reheat for nourish bowls.
Then all that’s left to do when you’re in the mood for a nourish bowl is roast the sweet potatoes.
And making the hot sauce can also be done in advance! So all you need to do to get dinner on the table is roast sweet potatoes and reheat black eyed peas? Count us in!
We hope you LOVE these nourish bowls! They’re:
& So Delicious!
They’re an entrée special enough to serve to guests but also perfect for meal prep. Make the hot sauce and black eyed peas in advance, and your taste buds will be thanking you all week long.
Bonus points? Each serving supplies 18 g protein, 20 g fiber, and so many vitamins and minerals (vitamins B2, B6, C, folate, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, calcium, and more!).
More Nourish Bowl Recipes
- Sweet Potato Nourish Bowl (30 Minutes!)
- Butternut Squash Miso Brussels Sprouts Bowl
- Nourishing Curried Lentil & Sweet Potato Bowl
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Spicy Black Eyed Pea Nourish Bowls
- 1 batch Smoky Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas & Greens
- 4 medium (~2/3 lb each) sweet potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1-2 tsp olive or avocado oil (omit if oil-free)
- 4-8 Tbsp Zesty Mango Habanero Hot Sauce (or sub store-bought)
- BLACK EYED PEAS: If you haven’t already prepared a batch of Smoky Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas & Greens, do so at this time. It can be prepared up to 3-4 days in advance or (our preferred method) stored in the freezer and reheated for quick weeknight-friendly meals. If using frozen, transfer them to the fridge 24 hours before serving or defrost in warm water or the microwave.
- SWEET POTATOES: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and transfer to a baking sheet. Drizzle with a little oil (if avoiding oil, omit and use parchment paper) and massage to coat. Place potatoes cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until caramelized on the edges and when you press on the top of the potatoes, they have a little give.
- HOT SAUCE: Prepare Zesty Mango Habanero Hot Sauce if not using store-bought (we recommend homemade for best flavor). It can be made up to 2 weeks in advance (or longer if stored in the freezer).
- If your Smoky Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas & Greens are in the refrigerator, reheat them at this time in a large pot over medium heat or in the microwave.
- To assemble nourish bowls, divide sweet potatoes and warmed black eyed peas between serving bowls and top with 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) hot sauce per bowl.
- Best when fresh. Store leftover ingredients separately in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. Black eyed peas and hot sauce are freezer friendly up to 1-2 months.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amount of hot sauce.
Leave a Comment & Rating!