You guys know I love simple. Well it doesn’t get any simpler than this: 1-pot pasta. Yep, all the ingredients in ONE POT. I think I’m in love.
I’m not sure where this idea originated – probably Martha Stewart herself. But I love it. Not that pasta is super complicated anyway, but to create an even smaller mess and save time is a double upgrade if you ask me.
This dish starts with plenty of veggies: Mushrooms, eggplant and fresh parsley. You start by sauteeing your veggies in a big pot or pan and then setting them aside. Next comes the pasta, tomato sauce, garlic, water and seasonings into the SAME POT. Super easy stuff.
Then you literally just bring it to a boil, cover it, and let it simmer until the noodles are al dente. All that’s left to do is taste, adjust seasonings, and throw the veggies back on. So simple. So good.
This dish is:
Light yet filling
Rich with tomato flavor
Full of good-for-you veggies
Vegan (and gluten-free optional)
& (best of all) EASY
Plus, it’s extremely customizable. Use your pasta of choice, sub in your favorite veggies, throw in fresh herbs, roast your garlic, top with cheese – the options are endless. Enjoy!
1-Pot Vegan Pasta
- 12 ounces dry pasta*
- 1/2 small eggplant (cubed)
- 2 cups cremini or button mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced and divided)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan marinara sauce
- 2 cup water
- 2 tsp sea salt (plus more for eggplant)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- Fresh parsley or basil (optional // for finishing)
- Rinse and dice eggplant into small, bite-sized cubes. Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle generously with salt to draw out some of the moisture. Wait 20-30 minutes. Then rinse and pat thoroughly dry with a towel. Set aside. If you’re short on time, skip the eggplant and double the mushrooms.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, the eggplant and 1/3 of the minced garlic (1 clove as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp sea salt (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until a golden brown color is achieved, then add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more or until all of the veggies have color. Set aside and cover – you will top the pasta with it.
- To the same saucepan, add the pasta, water, marinara sauce, the remaining cloves of garlic. Start with 1.5 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp black pepper (you will likely add more later depending on the saltiness of your marinara/your personal taste // amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer until the pasta is cooked to al dente – will vary depending on kind of pasta – but typically an average of 10 minutes, stirring once or twice so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Once cooked, stir and taste to adjust seasonings. I added more salt and fresh herbs at this point.
- Remove from heat and top with eggplant-mushroom mixture and more fresh parsley or basil. Serve immediately. Serves 3-4 (as original recipe is written).