With an Instant Pot and less than 30 minutes, you can make perfectly tender red lentils (no soaking required)! Let us show you how.
Instant Pot Red Lentils
Here’s what you need to know:
- Ratio = 1 part red lentils : 2 ½ parts water
- Cook Time = 3-4 minutes
- Release = 15 minute natural release, then release any remaining pressure
If you’re looking for red lentils with more texture, it’s best to cook them on the stovetop.
Did you find this helpful? If so, be sure to check out our Instant Pot Cooking Times Guide for perfectly cooked grains and beans every time!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Instant Pot Red Lentils (Tender, Fast, No Soaking!)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 ½ cups water (or vegetable broth for more flavor)
- Add red lentils and water (or vegetable broth) to the Instant Pot and stir to prevent sticking. If making dal or soup, add seasonings at this time. Pressure cook on high for 3-4 minutes (3 for more textured, 4 for more tender // it will take about 8 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize before cooking begins).
- Once the timer goes off, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove lid once steam has fully escaped. There shouldn't be any excess liquid to strain off.
- Enjoy immediately in dal, soups, or healthier desserts. Store cooled leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop, adding a little water, as needed, to prevent sticking.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
*Total time includes active cook time, release time, and the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat up (~8 minutes).