With an Instant Pot and less than 40 minutes, you can make perfectly cooked split peas every time! Let us show you how.
Instant Pot Split Peas
If you want to cook split peas in a fraction of the time without standing over a hot stove, you’re in the right place!
- Ratio = 1 part split peas : 3 parts water (or broth)
- Cook Time = 15 minutes
- Release = 15 minute natural release, then release any remaining pressure
Cooking split peas this way results in a soupy consistency. It’s a perfect canvas for adding your favorite seasonings, such as onion, garlic, celery, herbs, salt, and pepper.
Did you find this helpful? If so, be sure to check out our Instant Pot Cooking Times Guide for perfectly cooked grains and beans every time!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Instant Pot Green Split Peas (Fast, Tender, No Soaking!)
- 1 cup green split peas
- 3 cups water (or vegetable broth for more flavor)
- Chopped onion
- Chopped celery
- Minced garlic
- Fresh or dried herbs (such as thyme, oregano, and/or bay leaf)
- Sea salt & black pepper
- OPTIONAL: If using flavor add-ins, sauté onion, celery, and garlic in a little oil or water until tender and lightly browned.
- Add split peas and water (or vegetable broth) to the Instant Pot and stir to prevent sticking. Optionally, add fresh or dried herbs, sea salt, and/or black pepper. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes (it will take about 8 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize before cooking begins).
- Once the timer goes off, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove lid once steam has fully escaped.
*Total time includes active cook time, release time, and the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat up (~8 minutes).
Leave a Comment & Rating!