I’ve had vegan hot fudge before, but this is on a whole other level. I mean Kahlua, come on.
The basis for this recipe is simple: coconut cream, sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, sugar and sea salt. Then in a fit of boozy glory you add in two shots of Kahlua – the ultimate coffee-flavored liqueur. I don’t have to tell you that chocolate and coffee belong together but I will.
CHOCOLATE AND COFFEE BELONG TOGETHER. There, now you know.
This fudge comes together in a matter of minutes. Here’s so:
1. Crack open your can of coconut milk and scoop off the top cream.
2. Whisk it in a saucepan with sugar, cocoa powder and sea salt.
3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and Kahlua.
4. PUT IT ON EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED EVER.
5. The end.
The flavor of this fudge is NOT overwhelmingly coconut-y like you’d think. The chocolate and Kahlua are actually the dominant flavors. The coconut cream simply gives it a slight hint of coconut and a super thick texture.
In fact, after refrigerating it pretty much becomes mousse. Yeah, CHOCOLATE KAHLUA MOUSSE.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (cream only*)
- 1/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp raw or granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Kahlua coffee liqueur
- pinch sea salt
- Open your unshaken can of coconut milk (refrigerated or not) and use a spoon to scrape off the top layer of thick cream, reserving the watery, liquid portion for smoothies or other uses.
- Add cream to a sauce pan over medium-high heat and add cocoa powder. Whisk to combine and cook for a few minutes minutes. Add sugar and salt and whisk – cook until warm and bubbly – 5 minutes. Reduce the heat if you see it getting too bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and Kahlua and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust flavors as needed. You may prefer more Kahlua or vanilla than I did.
- Transfer to a clean glass jar or bowl to let cool. Once room temperature, cover and refrigerate. Will keep for a couple weeks. Either reheat in the microwave before serving, or warm in a saucepan of simmering water.