Ah, summertime. The perfect season to forgo bowls and use fruit instead. Let’s do this!
Have you ever tried a papaya?
My first time was when we vacationed in Bali and it seemed to be the star of most fruit platters. The flavor was a little unique at first and I couldn’t decide if I loved it or hated it. I’m kind of a watermelon and cantaloupe kind of girl, but I must admit this juicy, tropical fruit is growing on me.
Not only is papaya sweet, juicy and tender, it’s also super healthy! Serious bonus.
Papaya is packed with Vitamins A, C and K, and also boasts plenty of fiber, potassium, and folate. If the health perks still don’t win you over, try cantaloupe instead! It works beautifully in this recipe as well.
This recipe may be my simplest yet! I don’t know where the concept originates from, but it’s essentially a fruit bowl of goodness.
Simply halve your papaya or cantaloupe, scoop out the seeds, and top with whatever you can round up!
Banana ice cream
These are so versatile you can easily adjust your fixings to suit your tastes.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know by leaving a comment and rating it! And be sure to show us by taking a picture and tagging it #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers!
- 1 ripe papaya or cantaloupe, halved, seeds removed
- 1 cup Banana Ice Cream or Flavored Dairy-free Yogurt (I love blueberry coconut yogurt from Trader Joe's)
- 1 kiwi, skin removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 2-3 Tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- Granola (see all of my granola recipes)
- To make banana ice cream (instead of using dairy-free yogurt), add 2 ripe, previously sliced and frozen bananas to a blender or food processor and blend on low until a creamy ice cream consistency is reached. Scrape down sides as needed, and add a splash of almond milk if it has trouble blending.
- To assemble papaya (or cantaloupe) boats, simply fill the hollow centers with desired amounts of banana ice cream or coconut yogurt, fruit, nuts and seeds!
- Enjoy immediately - best when fresh.