Going into donut shops was one of my greatest joys in life as a kid. I knew exactly what I wanted every time: maple long john with chocolate milk with a back-up plan of anything chocolate glazed or pink and covered in sprinkles. Gold, every time.
But these days, my palette is much more refined. I go for the frosting-free kinds, the ones without holes, and certainly avoid anything with the terms ‘long’ and ‘john’ in it. They’re just plain childish.
Nah, just kidding. My donut preferences haven’t changed at all since I was a kid. In fact, they’ve probably gotten worse. But every now and then it’s good to branch out and ‘upgrade’ as we age. And if that means adding a strawberry danish to the rotation every once in a while, I’m OK with that. Not all changes are bad, after all. Although bangs, bangs are usually a bad idea – especially for us greasy forehead types. Too, much, oil.
But enough about donuts and who shouldn’t wear bangs and onto the finer things in life, like french toast. When it comes to this breakfast classic, I’m usually the ‘give-it-to-me’ straight type: plain with a little butter and a drizzle of syrup. But these days, I’m upgrading to classier flavors, i.e. strawberry danish.
Once I discovered the flavor pairing of goat cheese and strawberry, the idea was to apply it to as many foods as I could think of. And the first one that happened to cross my mind was french toast. And the result? French toast that tastes just like a strawberry, cream cheese danish. Now that’s the type of breakfast I’m willing to branch out for.
- 2 slices of wheat bread
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup milk (any kind)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons goat cheese
- 4-6 fresh strawberries, sliced
- honey (optional)
- Preheat griddle to medium.
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a shallow dish.
- Dip bread into mixture and place on lightly greased hot griddle. Drizzle remaining ‘batter’ on top of bread.
- Cook until well-browned on each side, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and plate, top immediately with goat cheese, strawberries and a drizzle of honey.