You guys, these crepes are a game changer. G-A-M-E changer. Sweet, gluten free, and flavored with green tea! You’re gonna want to eat 12 of these STAT.
I haven’t always been a crepe lover; pancakes are more my thing. But these may be changing my mind…
They’re perfectly light and spongy with just a hint of vanilla-infused green tea flavor. And they’re so simple to make. You just drop 7 ingredients into a blender, whirl and presto cook-o you’re done! And then, wait ’til you see what we put inside…
For the filling I wanted to make a white chocolate coconut whipped frosting after seeing Oh She Glows’ AMAZING 2-ingredient chocolate frosting. I mean, whoa. I employed the same method but I think my can of coconut milk was a dud. If only we could all have that Ladycake finesse.
But, even though it didn’t quite turn out “whipped” like I hoped, it was still SO so good inside the crepes, especially with a few blueberries sprinkled on top.
Green tea crepes + coconut white chocolate filling + blueberries + STRAWBERRY sauce = Magic in the mouth.
I whipped this batch up one recent morning with the help of a friend, we scarfed them down in sheer delight, muttering “mmmmm’s” and “aaahhhhh’s” between every bite. They made an irresistible light breakfast and we both agreed would be the perfect item to serve at a girls-only brunch affair. Oh my.
These may not be dairy free but they are gluten free and considerably light. Plus, the ingredients list is so simple (hello 7 ingredients or less).
I incorporated green tea because I love the taste and it’s so healthy to consume. But if you don’t have green tea powder simply omit it or sub it with another flavor of your choice. I found that the white chocolate filling, blueberries and strawberry sauce provided plenty of flavor on their own.
The best part about these crepes is you really can’t tell they’re gluten free! The texture is spot on.
Bonus: they reheat incredibly well the next day. I was shocked at how good my leftovers were, especially since gluten-free items can be a bit off when re-heated. Not the case here. You really can’t go wrong with these crepes! What are you waiting for? Get to it!
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar (I used organic)
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 1/2 tsp matcha (green tea) powder
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp milk any kind
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. In the meantime, heat a small non-stick skillet over low heat.
- Once preheated, spray with non-stick spray and pour enough batter in to coat the bottom, twirling the batter around to evenly coat the pan. It won't take much (about 1/4 cup).
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the top begins to appear dry and the edges brown. Then flip carefully by loosening the edges with a butter knife and flipping it over in one swift movement.
- Cook for another minute or so on the other side and then transfer to a serving plate. Place sheets of wax paper between crepes to keep fresh. There should be 10-12 crepes depending on the size of your pan.
- Serve warm with white chocolate coconut filling, blueberries and strawberry sauce (recipes below).
- To store, place in an airtight container or ziploc bag with sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper between each crepe. Will reheat well the next day.
* To make the strawberry sauce, simply quarter 1 cup of strawberries and blend them with 1 Tbsp raw sugar. Pour into a saucer for serving.
* If the batter appears too thin, add a pinch of xanthan gum or more gluten free flour. This will help thicken it up.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 2 crepes without fillings or toppings.
*I got my green tea powder from eatgreentea.com for a reasonable price, and found the quality and flavor to be spot-on.