Do you ever look at two foods and automatically assume they’d pair instinctually well together? Kind of like PB&J, but with raw ingredients?
That’s how most of my recipes come to be. I think “Watermelon and Coconut Milk – that’s a match made in heaven. Peanut Butter and Basil – total win.” Or, “Carrot and Ginger – how could that not taste good?”
So when I saw crates of gorgeous blueberries at the farmers market, I couldn’t help but imagine them pairing perfectly with balsamic vinegar and hazelnuts. And so, this salad was born.
This salad is perfect for summer, using ingredients you can get at any local farmers market. It’s seasonal, flavorful, requires almost no heat, and comes together in 30 minutes. And did I mention it’s basically all super foods?
Organic mixed greens
And the dressing? You don’t wanna miss this. Sautéed shallots, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, salt, pepper and a generous handful of blueberries. Look at that color! Swoon.
I think you guys are going to love this salad. It’s:
& Seriously delicious
Divide this recipe into two for a hearty entrée, or four for an easy summer side dish. I also found adding a few slices of ripe avocado to be a wonderful addition of creamy texture and healthy fats.
If you try this salad, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see! Cheers, friends.
- 1/2 cup (84 g) dry quinoa (red or white)
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock (or sub water, but it will have less flavor)
- 5 ounces (142 g) mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup (70 g) roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup (80 g ) blueberries
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) grape seed oil
- 2 shallots, minced (or sub 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) olive oil (or sub more
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (53 g) blueberries
- Prepare quinoa by rinsing thoroughly with cool water in a fine mesh strainer. Then add to a small saucepan with vegetable stock (or water) and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy like rice. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, prepare dressing by heating a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp grape seed oil, shallot, and sauté until tender and slightly caramelized - about 5 minutes - stirring often. Remove from heat to cool.
- Add shallot to a food processor or blender with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, blueberries, maple syrup, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Blend until pureed, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- To plate, top the mixed greens with slightly cooled quinoa (you may not use it all), blueberries and hazelnuts. Serve with dressing. Best when fresh. Serves 2 as an entrée, 4 as a side dish.