I’m not a big sports person, but the onset of fall gets me in the mood for game day-style snacking.
Notice I said “style.”
There is no actual game watching going on, just the snacking, which is the best part in my opinion. Thankfully, I lucked out and married John who is the exact same. We prefer Netflix over football any day.
After discovering a Vegan Mexican Cheese that requires no soaking or cooking, I knew I had to do something special with it. This dip immediately came to mind.
Seven layer dips always made an appearance at any sporting event I’ve ever been to, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be made on a random Wednesday when you’re having friends over. Or, if you just make it and then proceed to eat it every day for lunch for an entire week with nothing but chips.
This vegan queso and those refried beans were meant for each other. Hubba, hubba.
It all comes together like so: (!!)
Ta-da! Isn’t that fancy? And the result is amazing. It’s:
& So dang delicious and flavorful
Wave after wave of flavor it gets better with each bite. I found myself going back for seconds, then thirds, then (What? Who said that?).
Make this dip for neighbors, friends, family or just yourself, whether it’s game day or not. You will love the creamy texture, serious cheesiness, fluffy guac and perfect crunch from the veggies. Chips required, obviously.
If you do try it, let us know! Take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Bonus points if it’s a selfie of a giant bite entering your face. Cheers!
Vegan 7-Layer Mexican Dip
- 1 16-ounce can vegetarian refried beans (Trader Joe’s are already seasoned)
- 3/4 cup Vegan Mexican Cheese Spread + hot water (see instructions)
- 1 cup Favorite Guacamole (recipe below)
- 1 cup Favorite Salsa or Pico De Gallo (recipe below)
- 1/2 bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup black olives (optional // diced)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro (optional // chopped)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 medium lime (juiced)
- 1 pinch sea salt
PICO DE GALLO
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes (diced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- To prepare the cheese layer, scoop out 3/4 cup of spreadable Mexican Cheese and whisk in very hot water until it resembles queso - about 1/2 cup (amounts as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Alternatively, use my Cashew-less Vegan Queso.
- Next, prepare the guacamole by mashing all ingredients together in a bowl and adjusting seasonings to preference. Do the same with the pico de gallo (or just use your favorite salsa).
- To assemble the dip: Spread out vegetarian refried beans, then top with cheese layer, then guacamole, then pico or salsa, then bell pepper, then black olives, then cilantro.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. Can be made up to 1 day in advance.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.