Can an ice cream recipe be inspired by a donut? Because this one totally is. Be stoked.
Back when we were living in Kansas City (aahhhhh), we got into the habit of visiting a coffee shop every Friday that happened to serve up some wonderful and delicious donuts. Obviously, donuts were had. It was a no-brainer.
It had a sophisticated flavor with a subtle hint of pistachio, the perfect amount of sweetness, and a lovely crunch from slivered almonds. Swoon.
This ice cream is fun and easy to make, requiring just 9 ingredients and simple methods.
It can be made without an ice cream churner (see notes), but to get that truly creamy, fluffy texture, I highly recommend using one (find ours here).
This ice cream is dreamy. It’s:
Infused with pistachio
Studded with almonds
& Wildly satisfying
This is the perfect ice cream when you’re wanting something a little less over-the-top (exhibit A), but still craving something sweet. It’s still extremely satisfying and rich, but with a less intense flavor.
I hope you love this ice cream! If you give it a try, let us know by leaving a comment and rating it. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers!
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) raw cashews, soaked overnight (or for 6-8 hours) in cool water*
- 14 ounces (414 ml) full-fat coconut milk (or light coconut milk with less creamy results)
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (50 g) organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup (~80 g) finely ground pistachio dust (from dry roasted unsalted shelled pistachios), plus more to taste
- optional: 1/4 cup (27 g) raw or roasted unsalted slivered almonds, lightly chopped
- The night before, soak your cashews in cool water (see notes for quick soak method) and place your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer to chill.
- The following day, add soaked, drained cashews, coconut milk, oil, maple syrup, cane sugar, vanilla, sea salt and ground pistachios to a high speed blender. Blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust sweetness as needed, adding more cane sugar or maple syrup if desired. Also add more ground pistachio if needed to enhance the flavor.
- Assemble your chilled ice cream maker and pour in the ice cream batter. Churn until creamy and thick and resembles soft serve - about 30-40 minutes.
- In the last 30 seconds of churning, add in the slivered almonds. I used a mix of roasted and raw slivered almonds. Churn until just incorporated, then turn off machine.
- Enjoy immediately as soft serve, or transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe container and smooth flat with a spoon.
- Cover securely and freeze for 4-5 hours or until firm. Before scooping, set out for 20-30 minutes to soften and use a hot scoop to ease the scooping process.
- Leftovers keep in the freezer for 7-10 days, though best when fresh!
*This recipe as tested does require an ice cream churner, but the base is so thick and creamy I think you can get away with just freezing the base (not churned) and then stirring/whisking every hour to incorporate air until firm.
*Prep time does not include soaking cashews or freezing ice cream.