Hey! I made a super simple appetizer that will trick all your friends into thinking you’re a gourmet chef – seriously.
I’m sharing the recipe here and over at Iowa Girl Eats this week! Check out Kristin’s post for the full story behind the recipe and lots more photos. Plus, I share a bit about how Minimalist Baker came to be, so if you’re new to our site venture over to get to know us better. We’d love that.
This recipe falls in the minimalist category for its 10-item ingredient list and 30-minute preparation time. Super simple, super delicious, super perfect for springtime patio parties. Enjoy!
Whipped Bleu Cheese Bites with Balsamic Reduction
- 4 ounces bleu cheese crumbles (4 ounces yields ~1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces 1/3-fat cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ~1/4 cup 2% or whole milk
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8-10 sprigs asparagus*
- 1/2 red onion*
- 12-14 slices wheat baguette
- Preheat oven to low broil and position rack on second from top position. Slice baguette into 1/2 inch pieces and arrange on baking sheet. Plan for 1-2 per person. Set aside.
- Prepare bleu cheese dip by placing bleu cheese, cream cheese, vinegar, olive oil, and pepper in a food processor and mixing until well combined. Drizzle in milk 1 Tbsp at a time while mixing until desired consistency is achieved. It should be thick like frosting. Scoop into a large plastic bag and set aside.
- Sauté asparagus and/or red onion in a large saucepan over medium heat until tender. Season with salt and black pepper. To properly caramelize the onions, make sure to keep the lid on to lock in moisture and get them really soft. Set aside.
- Prepare balsamic reduction by placing balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally and being careful not to boil. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by about half and a wooden spoon scraped across the bottom leaves a visible line – it should appear somewhat “syrupy.” Pour into a small ramekin for serving.
- Pop baguette in the oven and watch closely, toasting until light golden brown. Then remove from the oven, pipe on whipped bleu cheese, and top with sautéed asparagus and/or caramelized onion. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve immediately.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.