It’s cookie time! Vegan, gluten free cookie time no less.
I have marveled at shortbreads for some time now, fearfully admiring their elusive technique and distinct texture/flavor profile. For some reason I doubted I’d ever be able to conquer such a feat as mastering the shortbread, but I was wrong.
Making shortbreads is EASY. Easier than most cookies, in fact. And making them vegan and gluten free AND without butter is even easier. You can trust me – I’m still kind of a cookie novice in the baking world. Pancakes and ice cream are more my game.
These cookies fit the minimalist bill requiring just 7 simple ingredients, and they require just one mixing bowl and one baking sheet. Not bad for a seriously scrumptious, crispy, banana-infused cookie!
These cookies are lovely. They’re:
Crisp with a slight tenderness
Infused with banana
Studded with pecans
Sturdy and portable (perfect for gifting + traveling)
& Highly shareable
As far as I’m concerned, these banana cookies are near perfection. I love that they have a slight bite with the perfect amount of tenderness, how the pecans toast up nicely to add a rich nuttiness to the overall flavor profile, and how how the banana isn’t overpowering. (And bonus, they don’t require butter, eggs or traditional flour!)
Hope you enjoy these beauties as much as I did. Cheers!
You know the drill. If you make these cookies – or any recipe from the blog – be sure to snap a photo and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram! I love to see what you lovelies are cooking up. xo!
Vegan Gluten Free Banana Pecan Shortbread (Butter-Free)
- 1 cup coconut oil (or sub vegan butter)
- 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana (1 small banana yields ~1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend or unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup pecans (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Cream oil, sugar and banana.
- Add vanilla, sea salt and blend.
- Add flour and blend.
- Add pecans and mix once more.
- Transfer to a large piece of parchment paper and roll into a tight log, ~ 2 inches wide. Freeze for 15 minutes to harden.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C).
- Unroll paper and slice cookies into slightly less than 1/2 inch discs with a sharp knife. If the dough has become too hard, let it rest for a few minutes at room temp to soften. If it’s too soft, freeze longer.
- Place on an un-greased baking sheet. They won’t spread much, so they can be placed close together.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until light golden brown.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
*Metric measurement for flour is based on using our DIY gluten-free flour blend. If using unbleached all-purpose flour, 2 1/2 cups = 340 grams.