By now, you probably know our dirty little secret: We order Thai food on Sunday. Every Sunday. And it’s delivery. There, I said it!
OK, fine. We eat it in stretchy pants while watching Netflix and Hulu. Are you happy?
Because green papaya can be quite difficult to find, I’ve recently been making an inspired version that relies on carrot and kale instead. I think you know where this is going.
This recipe is simple, requiring just 30 minutes to prepare.
The base is shredded carrot and lime-sesame massaged kale. Curry-Spiced Cashews add protein and healthy fats (and a TON of flavor). And the peanut-chili-lime dressing takes this salad to the next level.
It’s tangy. It’s sweet. It’s sour. It’s spicy. It’s perfect.
I hope you all love this salad! It’s:
& SO satisfying
This would make the perfect meal when you want something light and fresh but still hearty. It’s a lovely stand-alone entrée, but would also pair well with my Mango Curry!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (pretty please?), and don’t forget to tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers friends!
Thai Carrot Salad with Curried Cashews
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp dry roasted salted peanuts OR cashews (or sub 1 heaping TBSP salted peanut butter // amount as original recipe is written)
- 2 medium fresh or dried bird's eye chilies (~1 tsp as original recipe is written | or sub red pepper flake)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (or sub maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp pineapple juice (optional // recommended for sweetness/tang)
- 1 Tbsp tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 2 cups kale (chopped // large stems removed)
- 2 tsp sesame or olive oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 4 cups finely shredded/grated carrot (I use this mandolin with the medium blade attachment)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup Curry-Spiced Cashews (or sub roasted salted cashews)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Add garlic, peanuts, and chilies to a mortar and pestle (or just mince very finely) and crush to make a paste. Then add coconut sugar and crush once more.
Add lime juice, pineapple juice (optional), and tamari and stir to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more coconut sugar for sweetness, tamari for saltiness, lime juice for acidity, or crushed bird's eye chili for heat. Set aside.
To a large mixing bowl add kale and drizzle with a bit of olive or sesame oil and lime juice. Massage for 10-15 seconds to soften and remove some of the bitterness.
Add shredded carrot, red onion, cashews, and cilantro (optional). Then add dressing and toss to coat.
Serve immediately. If storing for later, store the cashews and dressing separately to keep fresh. Salad will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Dressing will keep for 5-7 days.
*2 cloves garlic yields ~1 Tbsp minced garlic.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with peanuts, sesame oil, and pineapple juice, but without other optional ingredients.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 4 side salads)
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 21.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Sodium: 535mg
- Potassium: 727mg
- Carbohydrates: 36.9g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Sugar: 19.2g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Vitamin A: 19200%
- Vitamin C: 37.1%
- Calcium: 80%
- Iron: 2.9%