This is the story of the time I went to eat at a restaurant. alone. all for a salad. In my defense, it was a really good salad.
It starts with strawberries and it ends with balsamic vinegar and everything good in the world. Bites of goat cheese bind this glory together like the perfect tangy, creamy glue. And spinach makes us feel like we’re doing our health a real favor, because we are.
I went into a restaurant by myself and shamelessly asked for a table for one because I was fixated on this salad. Like an obsession. Every time I drove by the restaurant I couldn’t shake it from my mind. Sweet, ruby red strawberries; tender green spinach; perfectly grilled chicken; tangy goat cheese, all coated in a creamy balsamic vinaigrette.
So that was it. One day, I had had enough. So I went in by myself and requested a table for one and then ordered myself the salad of my dreams. I promptly consumed the whole thing. Fork cleaned, no crumbs, no shame. And I’d do it all over again had the restaurant not closed. That’s why I have to make my own, only in wrap form because it’s 43% more fun. That’s science.
The concept is simple: chopped strawberries and spinach tossed in olive oil and vinegar, grilled chicken adds a savory, satiating bite, and goat cheese marries it all together in a hearty, grainy wrap. It’s lunch perfection, really, and so versatile.
If vegetarian, omit the chicken and add candied walnuts or hard boiled eggs. If vegan, go for walnuts and omit the goat cheese. If gluten free, ditch the wrap for a gluten free variety, swiss chard or another sturdy green. Add avocado for more staying power. The strawberry-balsamic is really what makes the dish, so playing around with it will only lend to more delicious options. Hooray!
- 2 whole grain wraps (I used whole wheat Flat Out brand) or sub a sturdy green
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 2 ounces goat cheese, sectioned into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- optional: salt + pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together honey and balsamic vinegar. Whisk in olive oil and adjust seasonings as needed, adding salt and pepper if desired.
- Add strawberries and let set for a few minutes. Then add spinach and toss.
- Place your wrap on a plate or piece of parchment paper and top with spinach-strawberry mixture, several dots of goat cheese, and protein of choice - grilled chicken and toasted, candied walnuts would be best. Spoon a Tbsp of the excess dressing on top and roll up. Serve immediately. Will not refrigerate well as it gets pretty moist fast.
- Serve with the extra spinach, strawberry salad, plain strawberries or chips.