Behold: the coolest new shake on the block, made with wholesome ingredients like bananas, dates, peanut butter, almond milk, cacao powder, and chickpeas. YES, chickpeas!
Let’s do this!
This shake is easy to make, requiring just 5 minutes, 1 blender, and 5 ingredients. (Cacao is optional, but recommended for chocolate lovers!)
Chickpeas are high in fiber, a plant-based source of protein, and you likely always have them on hand! Plus, they’re an affordable, whole-food alternative to protein powder with a nice boost of fiber.
They’re also a great source of folate, iron, and manganese (1). Not to mention, they make the shake SUPER thick and creamy!
Simply add ripe, previously peeled and frozen bananas, dates, peanut butter, dairy-free milk, and chickpeas to a blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth.
The Secret to a “Thickshake”
- Add only as much dairy-free milk (or water) as needed, scraping down sides to encourage blending. This is the same technique I employ for my Go-To Smoothie Bowl!
- Place your blender in the freezer once it’s blended to freeze for 10+ minutes, where it will thicken even more. Mind blown!
Add cacao powder if desired for a chocolate twist. If we’re being honest, we always want that twist ; )
We hope you LOVE this shake. It’s:
Quick & easy to make
Rich in fiber and protein
& Mega delicious
This would make the perfect healthier dessert to whip up during the week. Top with additional peanut butter and our Perfect Coconut Whipped Cream Every Time!
Healthier Shake Inspo
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake
- Chocolate Protein Shake (Protein Powder-Free!)
- Creamy Chocolate Breakfast Shake
- Vegan Shamrock Shake
- 3-Ingredient Mocha Milkshake
If you try this recipe let us know! Leave a comment and rating — and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Peanut Butter Banana Chickpea Shake (5 Ingredients!)
Creamy Peanut Butter Banana Chickpea Shake with just 5 ingredients, 5 minutes, and 1 blender required. A satisfying, plant-based treat with plenty of fiber and protein!
- 2 ripe bananas (previously peeled, chopped, and frozen)
- 1-2 pitted medjool dates (more or less depending on desired sweetness)
- 1/3 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 Tbsp peanut butter (sub powdered peanut butter for lower fat // or sub other nut or seed butter such as almond, cashew, sunflower, or tahini)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk, plus more as needed (we prefer almond, coconut, or cashew)
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
To a high-speed blender add frozen bananas, dates, chickpeas, peanut butter (or powdered peanut butter / other nut butter), and cacao powder (optional).
Add dairy-free milk a little at a time and blend on medium/low to keep the shake thick. Blend until creamy and smooth, scraping sides and adding more dairy-free milk as needed to facilitate blending.
Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more dates for sweetness, banana for thickness, peanut butter for saltiness / nuttiness, or cacao / cocoa powder for more intense chocolate flavor. You can also add a pinch of salt at this point if your nut butter is unsalted (optional). Blend once more to combine.
Note: For a thicker shake, transfer the shake to the freezer to chill for 15-30 minutes!
Divide between serving glasses and enjoy. Top with extra peanut butter or coconut whipped cream to send this shake over the top (also optional).
Best when fresh. Freeze leftovers into ice cubes and store well sealed up to 1 month. Blend with additional dairy-free milk (or add to other smoothies) to enjoy.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amount of peanut butter, with almond milk, and without optional ingredients.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 2 shakes)
- Calories: 312
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Potassium: 747mg
- Carbohydrates: 54.5g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Sugar: 33.1g
- Protein: 7.4g