Introducing a red velvet spin on our incredible no-bake chocolate cake balls!
These cake balls are infused with beetroot powder for a deeper chocolate flavor and health perks. Just 1 bowl, 7 ingredients, and 10 minutes required for these healthier treats!
How to Make Red Velvet Cake Balls
This inspired cake ball version starts by blending dates into small bits or until a ball forms. Dates provide natural sweetness and help everything stick together.
Next, almond flour and coconut flour are added, keeping this recipe grain-free and providing a fluffy, cake-like texture.
Cacao powder (or cocoa powder) gives these cake balls a rich, chocolaty flavor and pairs with beetroot powder for red velvet cake color, naturally! Plus, beets boast a variety of health benefits, including supporting cardiovascular health and reducing inflammation.
Vanilla extract and maple syrup are added for additional flavor and sweetness.
If after processing, the mixture looks too dry, a little coconut cream or dairy-free milk can be added to achieve the thick, cakey texture pictured below.
Once the dough is the right texture, scoop and roll into balls. We like using this scoop for consistency.
All that’s left to do is roll in either cacao powder for a richer chocolate flavor or beetroot powder for a pink color and more earthy flavor. We think it’s fun to make some of each!
We hope you LOVE these red velvet cake balls! They’re:
Easy to make
They would make the perfect healthier treat to have on hand throughout the week when dessert cravings strike! They’re also great as a pre- or post-workout snack, or any time you need on-the-go energy!
More Cake Bites
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
No-Bake Red Velvet Cake Balls (V/GF)
- 1 cup packed pitted medjool dates (measured after pits are removed)
- 1/4 cup almond flour (or sub almond meal, but the cake flavor is more pronounced with flour)
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour (or sub more almond flour)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (or Dutch process cocoa powder)
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp coconut cream, full-fat coconut milk, or another dairy-free milk (optional)
FOR ROLLING optional
- Cocoa Powder for richer chocolate flavor / Beet Powder for earthier flavor
- To a food processor, add pitted dates and blend until small bits remain or a ball forms.
- Next add your almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, beetroot powder, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Blend until a tacky dough is formed — about 20-30 seconds. Add coconut cream only if the dough still appears dry.
- The mixture should form easily when squeezed between your fingers. If too dry, add a little more maple syrup or coconut cream. If too wet or sticky, add more coconut flour, almond flour, or cacao powder as needed.
- Scoop out 1-Tbsp amounts of dough and roll into balls (we like this scoop). Repeat until all of your mixture is used up.
- Enjoy as is, or roll in cacao powder for a richer chocolate flavor, or beetroot powder for pink color and earthier flavor (we enjoyed a mix of both).
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or the freezer for 1 month or more. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.