Welcome to December. Kind of crazy isn’t it? 2014 is almost over. I still haven’t quite grappled with it all.
But nonetheless, here we are smack dab in the middle of the holiday season and I’m feeling kind of cozy.
Though I normally crave warmer things in colder months, this smoothie makes a shining exception with its rich orange hue, creamy texture and warm, spicy notes. I think I’ve learned to love sweet potato in a whole new way.
You really can’t go wrong with their exceptional nutritional content, boasting plenty of beta carotene and both Vitamin A and C (great for immunity). Not to mention, one potato provides roughly 4 grams protein, 6 grams of fiber, and just 162 calories.
This smoothie also contains cinnamon, ginger and turmeric, all of which act as anti-inflammatory agents in the body, among many other benefits.
This combination also adds a warm, spicy undertone that complements the sweetness of the sweet potato perfectly.
Last but not least, orange juice adds plenty of Vitamin C and extra immune-boosting benefits to hep ward off any stubborn colds this winter.
I think you’re going to love this smoothie. It’s:
& Seriously delicious
This smoothie is perfect for days when you want something healthy, filling, and a little sweet. Plus, it’s simple with less than 10 ingredients. That’s my kind of breakfast.
We hope you love this recipe! And if you do, be sure to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. It seriously makes our day. Cheers!
Immune Booster Orange Smoothie
- 1 cup loosely packed sweet potato puree (1 large potato yields ~ 1 cup or 328 g // skin removed // or sub pumpkin puree + extra banana or maple syrup for sweetness)
- 1 medium ripe banana (previously sliced and frozen)
- 1 Tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 1/4 tsp each ground turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger (if using fresh ginger, use 1 tsp chopped per 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1/2 Tbsp flaxseed meal or chia seeds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice (optional)
- 1 large handful ice
- To bake your sweet potato, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and split in half lengthwise. Lightly oil and place face down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until soft - 25-30 minutes.
- Or, to steam, place in a steamer basket over 2 inches of simmering water and cover to steam for roughly 5-10 minutes or until fork tender. Let cool slightly before adding to blender.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings/sweetness as needed. Add more banana or orange for added sweetness, and more ice to thicken.
- Split between two small glasses (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) and serve. Garnish with extra cinnamon.