While I love the convenience of store-bought almond milk, sometimes it’s fun to make it yourself! This recipe allows you to control the amount of sweetness and infuse flavors as well as play around with the thickness. It’s my go-to when I’m craving homemade dairy-free milk.
- 1 cup raw almonds (soaked overnight in cool water // or 1-2 hours in very hot water)
- 5 cups filtered water (less to thicken, more to thin)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 whole dates (optional // pitted // or other sweetener of choice // omit for unsweetened)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional // or sub 1 vanilla bean, scraped per 1 tsp extract // omit for plain)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (optional // for "chocolate milk")
- 1/2 cup berries (optional // for "berry milk")
Add your soaked almonds, water, salt, and any additional add-ins (optional) to a high-speed blenderand blend until creamy and smooth. Keep it running for at least 1-2 minutes so you get the most out of your almonds.
Strain using a nut milk bag or my favorite trick - a thin dish towel. Simply lay a clean dish towel over a mixing bowl, pour over the almond milk, carefully gather the corners, and lift up. Then squeeze until all of the liquid is extracted. Discard pulp, or save for adding to baked goods (especially crackers).
Transfer milk to a jar or covered bottle and refrigerate. Will keep for up to 4-5 days, though best when fresh. Shake well before drinking, as it tends to separate.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1/2 cup of 10 total servings calculated with 5 cups of water, no additional add-ins and the remaining almond pulp nutritional content subtracted.
*This is not my original recipe but my take on many almond milk recipes I've found and tested.
*Recipe makes ~5 cups almond milk.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 10 half-cup servings)
- Calories: 31
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Sodium: 4mg
- Potassium: 40mg
- Carbohydrates: 1.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.1g
- Calcium: 1%
- Iron: 1%
Below are some of my recipes which use Almond Milk:
1-Bowl Vegan Banana Nut Muffins // Fluffy 1-Bowl Sugar Cookies // Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothie // Super thick DIY Chocolate Almond Milk // Fluffy Cornmeal Pancakes // Pumpkin Pie Green Smoothie // Creamy Pumpkin Pie Bars // The Best Vegan GF Cornbread // Spicy Red Curry Cauliflower Wings //
Found this recipe helpful? Check out our Guide to Dairy-Free Milk!