People who like tacos are good people.
I mean, how can you go wrong? Delicious, savory, crunchy, colorful fillings in a portable shell – it’s literally what dreams are made of. Well, that and Peanut Butter Cup Pie, am I right?
In my quest to switch up breakfast, these simple, colorful tacos came to mind.
I’ve recently been into pomegranate arils on EVERYTHING, especially baked sweet potatoes with black beans, onion, cilantro and salsa. It’s literally my go-to lunch these days and I have no plans of changing that anytime soon. I highly recommend it right after you nosh on these tacos.
This recipe comes together in about 30 minutes and is seriously versatile!
Not a tofu fan? Sub roasted sweet potatoes or leave it out. No cilantro? Sub kale. Mash your black beans for more a “refried” feel. The breakfast possibilities are endless.
These tacos would make a colorful, filling and healthy breakfast or brunch for two, and are easy to multiply for a crowd. Bonus? The toppings keep for days in the fridge so you can make them ahead and nosh on them all week in various forms.
I hope you give these a try! And if you do, be sure to tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. Cheers!
Easy Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 red onion (diced)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 ripe avocado (sliced // or sub guacamole)
- 1/2 cup salsa (for serving // hot sauce also optional)
- 1 medium lime (sliced // for serving)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 6 whole corn tortillas (2 per person)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp salsa
- 1 Tbsp water
- Wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and place something heavy on top, such as a cast-iron skillet, while prepping toppings.
- Cook black beans in a small saucepan over medium heat until bubbly. Then reduce heat to simmer and set aside. If unsalted/unseasoned, add a pinch of salt, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder.
- Add dry tofu spices + salsa to a small bowl and add enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and unwrap tofu. Use a fork to crumble.
- Once the pan is hot, add 1-2 Tbsp (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) oil of choice and the tofu. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes to brown. Then add seasoning and toss to coat. Continue cooking until browned and fragrant - about 5-10 minutes - stirring frequently. Set aside.
- To serve, warm tortillas in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel or in a 250-degree F (121 C) oven (optional). Top tortillas with tofu scramble, black beans, onion, avocado, cilantro, salsa, fresh lime juice, and pomegranate arils (or desired toppings).
- Serve immediately with the best breakfast potatoes or fruit.