Friends, behold: Creamy, rich, vegan (secretly healthy) chocolate frosting that’s sweetened entirely with dates and is SO easy to make!
Dreams do come true. Let me show you how it’s done!
This 5-ingredient frosting is made in about 10 minutes entirely in the food processor!
Start by blending pitted dates until small bits remain, a ball forms, or it gets creamy (this will depend on how fresh your dates are).
Then add warm water and blend into a loose paste.
Next, add your cashew butter, cacao powder, vanilla, and salt (optional) and blend until creamy.
And last but not least, melted coconut oil adds even more creaminess so the frosting becomes more spreadable. It also helps it firm up a bit more when refrigerated.
That’s it! Healthier chocolate frosting in 10 minutes flat. And with real, whole food ingredients!
We hope you LOVE this frosting! It’s:
Easy to make
& Incredibly delicious
Check out our other easy frosting recipes: Easy Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting, How to Make Dairy-Free Buttercream Frosting, How to Make Vegan Chocolate Ganache Frosting, and Vegan Cashew Buttercream Frosting.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Date-Sweetened Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup tightly packed dates, pitted (measured after pitting // make sure they're fresh! If dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes, drain, then add to processor)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup unsalted cashew butter* (raw or roasted // or sub other nut butter, though we haven’t tested and can’t guarantee the results)
- 1/2 cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract*
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil* (if avoiding oil, sub more water or cashew butter)
- Add pitted dates to a food processor with the “S” blade attached. Pulse until very small bits remain or they form into a ball.
- Add warm water and pulse again until they form a loose paste that appears like caramel, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add cashew butter, cacao powder, vanilla, and sea salt (optional) and pulse again until the mixture is well combined. Scrape down sides.
- Add coconut oil and mix again until a smooth paste forms (see photo) — it should be thick but spreadable like frosting! If chunky or dry, add more oil as needed.
- Use immediately, or if you prefer a firmer frosting, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week, or in the freezer up to 1 month.
*If seeking a raw version, omit the vanilla extract and ensure your cashew butter, cacao powder, and coconut oil are raw.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.