Oatmeal raisin cookies are John’s favorite cookie, hence the reason I baked them what seemed like every other week when we first got married. Sure, we tied the knot and all, but I still had to make sure the man’s sweet tooth was satisfied. After all, there’s a lot of dessert out there in the world and I want to ensure that he only oogles at my goodies, if you catch my drift
I’ve wanted to infuse the flavor of chai into cookies for a while now and thought this the perfect time since the weather is cooling down, the leaves are starting to turn, and I’ve officially started craving hot tea every single day. And so, a chai infusion it was.
To mock the flavor of chai in these bars, I simply added all of the spices you’d find in traditional chai tea: cinnamon, clove, cardamom and ginger – some of the loveliest spices around if you ask me. And the result was a hearty dessert bar with all of the flavor and texture of a traditional oatmeal raisin cookie but with a punch of chai spice in each bite. Oh man, these are a total win.
Chai-Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Bars
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 1/2 heaping cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves (or sub pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup jumbo mixed raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Carefully pour flour, salt and baking soda into a sifter and sift over wet ingredients. Add spices and stir. Then add oats and raisins and stir once more.
- Chill the dough for 5-10 minutes. Then scrape into a buttered, lightly floured OR parchment lined 8x8 metal or glass dish and flatten until smooth (adjust number/size of pan if altering batch size).
- Bake for about 25-28 minutes or until nice and golden brown on top and the sides pull away from the pan.
- Let cool in the pan and then slice and serve. Store covered or in baggies to keep fresh.
Nutrition (1 of 12 servings)