Behold basically the only thing I want to eat anymore: arepa sandwiches!
Since we just mastered our arepas, it just wasn’t right not to show you how to make my ultimate arepa sandwich. It includes all of my favorite things, like guacamole, sweet roasted plantains, and smoky black beans. And it comes together in 30 minutes with 10 ingredients! Let’s do this.
Once your arepas are made, start by roasting your plantains until golden brown and caramelized.
Then heat your black beans until bubbly and season with cumin and salt.
Next up, guacamole. If you’re feeling lazy. you can also just add slices of avocado and sprinkle on lime and salt. But if you’ve got the time, it’s worth the effort!
Now, we assemble. First comes sliced arepas, then guacamole, then black beans, then plantains, followed by any desired toppings such as cabbage, cilantro, and your favorite sauce (like our Habanero Hot Sauce)!
We hope you LOVE these sandwiches! They’re:
Crunchy on the outside
Layered with texture + flavor on the inside
Savory, spicy, sweet
Quick + Easy to make
& Super delicious
These arepa sandwiches would be perfect for feeding a crowd! Or you can keep the ingredients on hand for assembling them throughout the week as you need.
These are delicious on their own, but they might also pair nicely with things like rice, Easy Vegan Coleslaw, Roasted Vegetables, or this Super Cleansing Veggie Slaw! And if you want a little more flavor, you could also throw on some of our Raw Vegan Taco Meat or Vegan Barbacoa!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Black Bean & Plantain Arepa Sandwiches
- 6 large arepas (or you could sub corn tortillas)
- 2 large ripe and spotty plantains, peeled
- 1 Tbsp oil (avocado is my preferred)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, slightly drained
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Pinch sea salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
FOR SERVING (optional)
- Habanero Hot Sauce (or other hot sauce)
- If you haven't already prepared your arepas, which take about 30 minutes (not included in prep time), do that now.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (209 C). Peel your plantains and slice on a diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces. Then add to a parchment-lined baking sheet and toss with oil. Arrange into an even layer and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized. Toss near the 10-minute point to ensure even baking.
- In the meantime, add (slightly drained) black beans to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until bubbly and hot. Season with cumin and salt and stir to combine. Then turn heat off and set aside (cover to keep warm).
- Lastly, prepare guacamole by mashing avocado in a small mixing bowl and adding lime, salt, onion, and cilantro. Stir to combine, and taste and adjust flavor as needed. Add more salt for saltiness, lime for acidity, or onion for crunch. Set aside.
- You're ready to serve. Slice your hot arepas in half (or cut a "pita pocket" and stuff). Add guacamole, beans, plantains, and any other desired toppings, such as Habanero Hot Sauce, cabbage, or cilantro!
- Best when fresh. Store leftovers (separate from each other) in the refrigerator up to 3 days.