In college, I had a chai-a-day habit. In fact, I used to swipe a handful of quarters from my dad’s coin jar (sorry, Dad!) on my way out the door to class to treat myself to a chai at a local coffee shop. There’s something magical about the creaminess of the milk balanced with the subtle sweetness and spice. Swoon.
These days though? I don’t steal from my dad’s coin jar anymore (promise). Nor do I enjoy chai lattes as often, mostly because I try to avoid caffeine. This mix is my answer to that problem. Plus, just 6 ingredients and 5 minutes are required!
This mix is made up of some of my favorite spices: cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg, and cloves! After much testing of different ratios, this is the perfect blend (in my humble opinion) to create a dreamy chai latte.
Once added to a jar, simply shake or stir to combine. It will keep up to 3 months in your spice cabinet, but if you love chai like me, it won’t last that long by a long shot.
Check out the recipe below for tips on how to make hot and cold chai lattes, as well as other applications for this spice blend!
We hope you LOVE this chai mix! It’s:
& So easy to make
This mix makes the perfect chai latte when cravings strike! Because it’s caffeine-free, it’s suitable for any time of day. But if you want to add some tea, simply cut the amount of dairy-free milk in half and sub that with strong brewed black tea. Sweeten to taste and you’re golden. Pro tip? Add your chai spice mix, sweetener, and warmed milk to a blender to achieve a frothy, hot latte. Swoon!
If you’re into warming beverages, also be sure to check out our Best Vegan Matcha Latte, 3-Ingredient Turmeric Tonic, Feel Good Vegan Hot Chocolate, Vegan White Hot Chocolate, and 5-Minute Vegan Golden Milk (which also has its own Golden Milk Mix now!)!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
5-Minute Caffeine-Free Chai Mix
- 4 Tbsp ground cinnamon (cassia is best)
- 3 Tbsp ground ginger
- 4 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper (reduce by half for less spice)
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
FOR SERVING optional
- 1-1 1/2 tsp chai mix
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or other sweetener to taste)
- 1 cup Homemade coconut or almond milk* (or store-bought)
- To make mix, add all spices to a small jar and shake or stir thoroughly to combine. Will keep at room temperature up to 3 months. Or you can store it in the refrigerator if you prefer. Double the recipe if you intend to use it daily (it goes fast!).
- To make a HOT chai latte, add suggested amount of Chai Mix, sweetener of choice, and 2 tsp water to a mug (or small blender). Use a spoon to mix spices into water (or skip this step if blending). Then add warmed dairy-free milk of choice to your mug (or blender) and stir (or blend) to combine. The spice mix can settle to the bottom, but blending really helps! Keep a spoon handy to give it a stir when drinking if the spices need to be dispersed.
- To make an ICED chai latte, add suggested amount of Chai Mix, sweetener of choice, and 2 tsp water to a serving glass. Use a spoon to mix into a loose paste (you want as few clumps as possible). Then add several big ice cubes and top with dairy-free milk of choice. Stir to combine.
- In addition to being used to make chai lattes, we also think it would make a delicious spice mix for cookies, vegetables, smoothies, and more!
*Recipe (as written) makes ~2/3 cup chai mix.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated for 1 chai latte with unsweetened coconut milk and suggested amount of sweetener.