Oh how we love October. The weather has been absolutely majestic: Cool mornings perfect for chilly runs and coffee on the porch, and warm afternoons and evenings lend themselves to strolls around our neighborhood. Leaves are falling, pumpkin pie is pumping through my veins. Fall is certainly here.
This is a special mid-month recap because we’re leaving for Europe tomorrow! Don’t worry – business will continue as normal. Just know we’ll be on a multi-country tour with two of our best friends, starting in Sweden and ending in Spain! Before we do that let’s look at what’s new around here and what we’ve been into lately.
New Blogger Resources
First, we released a new website design! Thanks for all your kind words; we’re quite smitten. Our new digs come compliments of John with design touches from Holly of Hollisanne. More on how we pulled it off to come soon.
Second, this month we released an entire blogger university to help bloggers like you create more professional websites. Come see what it’s all about.
Finally, we added several new Blog Resources, one being Ads and Buttons. Watch this short video tutorial to start creating clean and simple, polished images to help promote your website and brand. Huzzah!
Favorite Past Recipe
These Vegan Blueberry Muffin Pancakes are one of my favorite pancake recipes to date! Fluffy, sweet, studded with ripe blueberries in every bite, and they taste just like a blueberry muffin. You must check them out. As in, must.
Things Dana’s Into
– DIY Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee – I’m head over heels for this post by Izy at Top with Cinnamon. I’m a coffee fiend and this pumpkin version is a classy and simple way to infuse fall flavor into your morning cup. Brilliant, Izy. Brilliant. (Oh, also, everything that girl photographs? AMAZING.)
– The Fizzle Show – John turned me onto this podcast hosted by three hilarious internet entrepreneurs. I’m not usually into podcasts but I LOVE this one and take away so much from every episode. It’s so helpful for people branching out on their own and doing something creative online. Start with this episode on How to Stay Motivated – then, let the addiction begin.
– Anna Saconne – I’m not into beauty blogs, but I’m super into Anna’s. She’s Irish, charming, gorgeous, and so honest and down to earth about beauty and life. Plus, I adore her tutorials and her little girl, Amelia. Check out her You Tube channel for tutorials and beauty advice, as well as her family’s channel. YES, a family channel. Prepare to waste hours of your life (so worth it).
Things John’s Into
(John takes over from here.)
– I’ve been digging into the musician Julianna Barwick, particularly her newest album, Nepenthe. I have my own genre of music titled “dreaming music,” which this album fits into perfectly.
– I’ve really been into simplifying my distractions lately. I know that’s neither a surprise (minimalist is the site title), nor a phenomenally new concept; but it’s been something very powerful for me.
There have been a few new habits I’ve formed lately that I’m really starting to dig:
- I have turned off all instant notifications on my phone and computer. This means I have to manually and mindfully check my email/social network/etc. No popups, no noises, nothing.
- I check my email in intervals and only when I know I have the ability to reply.
I had developed the nasty habit of constantly checking these things throughout the day. Ultimately, this left me scattered and unable to focus. Although I do regularly check my email for work, it’s much more intentional. I’ve found that I don’t need to be worrying about every little thing as it happens. Checking my twitter account at the end of the day is just as fine as refreshing it constantly.
Secondly, I’ve had a lot of work to do this past month and have plenty more in the coming months. I’m trying to train myself to be mindful in what I’m doing and not worrying about the “big issue” that doesn’t really matter.
One More Thing!
image via Ashley McLaughlin
Ashley of Edible Perspective released a cookbook this month and we had the pleasure of giving it a look! Though we haven’t tried any of the recipes inside Baked Doughnuts for Everyone – I’m still lacking that quintessential donut pan – they all look delicious. And if they’re are as tasty and thoroughly tested as the recipes on her site, I can guess all 101 donuts are amazing. Check it out!
This Has Been…
Your mid-month October update! See you tomorrow for a new recipe.