Friends, I’m not much of a bartender, but this cocktail is BANGIN’.
I dreamt it up one day while fighting a serious watermelon craving.
I wondered if, when sliced, watermelon would form into delicious little ice cubes. It turns out, it does.
All hail the frozen cocktail!
To make this delicious beverage you need just 5 ingredients: Watermelon, limes, sugar, white rum, and club soda. That’s it!
Simply muddle a lime with rum and sugar, add watermelon ice cubes and juice, and top it off with club soda.
You’ll be in grown-up limeade heaven in no time.
The best part about this cocktail – besides the fact that it takes no time to throw together – is that the watermelon ice cubes get all melty and boozy and make the perfect treat to munch on as you sip the drink down.
Sure, you may look like a fool maneuvering a straw to slide watermelon cubes up the side of your glass directly into your mouth, but it’s totally worth any embarrassment you may experience.
We enjoyed these drinks alongside tacos one night, and the combination was just outstanding. When our glasses were empty, we were quickly left wanting more. So be prepared to provide plenty of refills for your adoring guests.
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 2 limes*
- 2 shots white rum (Bacardi)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 liter club soda
- Slice ¾ of a seedless watermelon into cubes, reserving one quarter for juice, and place in a bag and freeze for several hours or preferably overnight.
- In a strainer over a bowl, press the remaining chunks of fresh watermelon with a muddler or flat surface until most of the juice is extracted.
- Slice limes into quarters and squeeze the juice of one fruit into each serving glass, throwing the limes into the glass along with it. (Only use half of a lime if you prefer a drink that’s not as tart.)
- Add 1 Tablespoon sugar and one shot (2 Tablespoons) of white rum to each serving glass and muddle until well mixed.
- Fill to the brim with watermelon ice cubes, add a healthy splash of watermelon juice (about ¼ cup), and top off with club soda.
- Stir, garnish with lime wedge and serve with a straw.
2. You’ll have enough watermelon ice cubes for at least four drinks.
3. Omit the sugar if you prefer a more tart cocktail.
4. I highly recommend eating the boozy watermelon cubes as they melt – so tasty!
*Only add half of a lime if you prefer a less tart drink.