When it comes to breakfast, I can hardly decide between which one of my favorites to indulge in on any given day. Oatmeal, pancakes, steel cut oats, french toast – there’s simply too many delicious options to choose from. But if I had to pick just one, besides my true love of pancakes, it’d have to be waffles.
These waffles scream fall in every way: Cornbread, pumpkin, maple syrup, cinnamon – a little taste of autumn in each bite. Plus, both the ingredients list and time required to prepare them remain minimal – just the way I like it.
Oh, and did I mention they’re vegan? I almost left that out. Pumpkin vegan waffles for the win.
What I loved most about these waffles – besides the fact that they were moist and tasted exactly how I’d hoped – is that they have a nice crisp that waffles can sometimes lack. Couple the ideal texture with the rich pumpkin-cornbread flavor and we have near breakfast perfection on our hands.
I topped mine with a little Earth Balance and maple syrup and was smiling bigger with each bite. Just too good to put into words.
If you’re looking for a healthy fall breakfast recipe, give this one a try. You likely already have all of the ingredients on hand, and who can resist a waffle, really?
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 Tbsp water)
- 1 Tbsp non-dairy butter, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup vegan corn mix (Jiffy is not vegan)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup unbleached all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- Prepare flax egg in a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add almond milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, melted butter, pumpkin pie spice and stir.
- Add flour and corn mix and whisk until just combined. Let rest for 5 minutes while preheating waffle iron.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick pray and pour ⅓ cup measurements onto the griddle. Close and cook according to manufacturer instructions (should be about 3 minutes).
- Serve warm with vegan butter and maple syrup. Non-vegans can opt for real butter and honey or maple syrup.