Carrot cake = perfection
Coconut cake = the bees knees
Carrot + coconut pancakes = pancake heaven.
These pancakes were inspired by my love for both carrot cake and coconut.
I have always loved the flavor of coconut – not always the texture – and find it altogether pleasing and sweet. And if there is a slice of carrot cake around I will NEVER turn it down. I mean never. Even if 5 minutes before I was just complaining about how miserably full I was I would still eat a giant slice of sweet carrot cake with mounds of cream cheese frosting. Just thinking about it makes me hungry, and I just had a snack. You do the math.
But since I can’t realistically justify a slice of carrot cake for breakfast every day, I’ll turn instead to infusing those flavors into a stack of flap jacks. Good enough for me.
What you need to know about these pancakes:
They require just 20 minutes, 10 ingredients and 1 mixing bowl.
They’re vegan and have a limited amount of sugar.
They have loads of fresh shredded carrot.
They have a subtle coconut flavor and light and fluffy texture.
They’re perfect with walnuts, shredded coconut and hot maple syrup.
They’re light enough for an everyday breakfast and special enough for a weekend brunch.
Perfect? I think so.
These cakes are light and fluffy just like they look, and not overly sweet thanks to a limited amount of sugar. The carrot isn’t overwhelming nor is the coconut, but the two seem to pair together perfectly to give it the perfect amount of heartiness and decadence. Although filling, they won’t leave you feeling like you ate an entire loaf of bread. I kind of hate it when that happens.
Though a cream cheese frosting of some sort would be fabulous, that wouldn’t be very vegan of us, now wouldn’t it? So maple syrup it is. Trust me, you won’t regret it.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached all purpose)
- 2 Tbsp organic sugar
- 1/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut, divided (also known as “dessicated” coconut)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 heaping Tbsp non-dairy butter, melted (I like Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp crushed walnuts or pecans for topping (optional)
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, and 2 Tbsp shredded coconut in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour non-dairy milk into a large liquid measuring cup. Add melted butter, vanilla, and whisk to combine. Add wet to dry and stir.
- Stir in carrot and let batter rest for 5 minutes while preheating skillet to medium heat.
- Once skillet is hot, lightly grease the surface with non-stick spray or non-dairy butter and spoon on 1/4 cup measurements of batter; there should be 9 cakes. Top each pancake with a sprinkle of crushed walnuts and flip when bubbles appear and the edges look slightly dry.
- Cook for another couple minutes on the other side. Keep warm in a 200* oven until all pancakes are cooked.
- Serve with non-dairy butter, shredded coconut and warm maple syrup.
Nutrition is a rough estimate for 1/3 of the recipe: about 3 pancakes.