I can’t tell you how many blizzards I’ve had in my life. It’s an embarrassing amount. But what I can tell you is 99% of them have been banana cream pie (with peanut butter cups) and lotsa whipped cream.
But, since dropping dairy I haven’t had been able to enjoy this creamy, dreamy treat for close to a year! And that’s a travesty, because in my books it isn’t summer until a frosty banana cream pie blizzard has crossed my lips.
Lucky for me, there are workarounds. And it starts with this 1-ingredient banana powder.
I had the idea to grind banana chips into a banana powder after watching the teenagers at Dairy Queen scoop a mysterious yellow powder into my blizzard. What is it? Nobody knows.
The important thing is it can be duped with ground banana chips. Naturally sweet, naturally delicious. Huzzah!
This blizzard is 100% naturally sweetened and requires just 7 ingredients.
That’s it! These simple ingredients combine to create one seriously creamy banana cream pie treat that’s entirely dairy-free. Graham crackers (or another vegan-friendly cookie) are certainly optional but highly recommended for a true cream pie experience.
This blizzard is kind of amazing. It’s
Infused with banana TWICE
Seriously close to the real thing
Make this blizzard and you’ll fall in love. And be sure to make our Chocolate Chocolate Chip version, too! Both delicious, both perfect for hot summer days.
Last but not least, to prove itself worthy of the “Blizzard” title, the upside down trick…Yep!
If you make this recipe, be sure to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram. That way we can have an ice cream social online. It’s the best. Cheers!
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 6 hours or overnight, then drained)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk (light or full fat)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5-7 medjool dates, pitted (if dry, soak in hot water for 10 minutes, then drain)
- 2 Tbsp banana powder (ground banana chips)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 just ripe banana, sliced
- Optional: Crushed vegan-friendly cookies (such as Nabisco Original Graham Crackers)
- The night before, place your ice cream churning bowl in the freezer to properly chill. Also, make sure you soak your cashews overnight OR the next day for at least 6 hours. Be sure to drain thoroughly before adding to blender.
- Grind your banana chips in a coffee or spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle. If using a spice grinder, not all of the chips will grind. Pick out parts that didn't grind for other uses.
- Add all ice cream ingredients EXCEPT raw banana and cookies to blender and blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Use the “liquify” or "puree" setting if you have it to get it completely creamy and blended. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more banana powder or dates if desired.
- Chill mixture in the freezer for 2 hours, or in the fridge overnight. If you don't have an ice cream maker, see notes.
- Add chilled mixture to ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions - about 45 minutes. It should look like soft serve.
- For a true blizzard experience, spoon directly into 2-3 serving glasses and layer with fresh sliced bananas and crushed vegan cookies. Optional, top with coconut whipped cream.
- Alternatively, transfer mixture to a freezer safe container, cover and freezer until firm - about 4-6 hours and scoop as ice cream.