Before you shudder, turn away and never return to this blog, know that this recipe is totally worthy of your attention. I told you before that I wasn’t done with the peanut butter and basil combination and for good reason. The two were meant to be together, perhaps more than PB & J. They’re a mind-blowingly delicious combination. Throw ice cream in the mix and you have a cocktail for perfection. This is no lie.
If you thought my PB & Basil Sandwich was a little out there, this may be your sweet gateway drug into peanut butter basil neverland. The flavors meld together so perfectly in this shake that your guests will be left wondering what’s inside. But it’ll be so delicious they won’t care. It can be out little secret. Our delicious little secret.
I made this recipe using regular vanilla ice cream but it could also be made vegan friendly with soy, almond or coconut-based vanilla ice cream and non-dairy milk. And while I used peanut butter powder, the real stuff could be subbed in if you don’t have the powder on hand. Just put your spin on it to make it your own.
- Large handful of fresh basil, lightly rinsed and dried
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter flour (like PB2)*
- 4-6 cups vanilla ice cream* (I used light)
- splash of milk (any kind)
- Blend all of the ingredients together, washing basil beforehand if necessary.
- If you prefer a thicker shake, add more ice cream. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a little more milk.
- Top with a little more peanut butter, basil and a swirl of whipped cream and serve immediately (in chilled glasses if possible).
* Use natural peanut butter in place of the powder if that's what you have on hand.
* Questions about substitutions, equipment, or troubleshooting? Check out our Recipe FAQ page.
In.saaaanely delicious. I’m telling you, try this. You must. Put it on your summer bucket list. Serve it to your friends. They’ll be so impressed. And you’ll be so popular. It’s really a win-win-win if you think about it.