Happy New Year, friends!
We did it, you guys. We really did it. We kicked 2015’s butt, or maybe it kicked ours. Either way, a new year is upon us and I’m personally feeling pretty groovy about it all.
Yes, I said groovy. I’m allowed to. I am almost 30 after all (how was 1986 30 years ago?!).
Now, let’s talk 2016, what you guys want to see more of on Minimalist Baker, and green smoothies (because, health).
I’ve shared a number of green smoothies on the site because I love them so much. In fact, my current favorite is in our upcoming print cookbook (have you ordered one yet?!).
That’s a lot of smoothies. But when it comes to breakfast or post-workout snacks, you really can’t beat them. So let’s make the most of this gorgeous winter fruit and get our green smoothie on, shall we?
This recipe is simple, as always, requiring 10 minutes and 6 ingredients.
The base is frozen banana and coconut milk for a sweet, creamy base. Lime juice and blood orange juice add tart and brightness, and the greens come from generous handfuls of spinach and kale.
The result is a super creamy, slightly tart green smoothie with tons of vitamins and minerals, and without the flavor of spinach or kale. Serious yum.
I hope you all love this smoothie! It’s:
Packed with healthy ingredients
A quick + easy meal or snack
This would make the perfect on-the-go breakfast or post-gym snack for busy folks looking to get in a quick serving or two of fruits and vegetables. For added protein, add a scoop of your favorite plant-based protein powder, or hemp seeds.
If you do give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment it, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see your smoothie in action.
Before you go, what would you love to see more (or less) of on Minimalist Baker in 2016? Let us know in the comments! We always aim to serve you better, and hope to make this our best year yet!
On a final note, if you’re looking to hit the “reset button” on your diet after the holidays, be sure to sign up for our email list to receive our FREE 15-recipe Detox Guide. Cheers, friends!
- 1 small ripe banana, previously peeled, sliced + frozen
- 3/4 cup (~120 g) frozen pineapple (or sub more banana)
- 2 blood oranges, juiced (~1/2 cup or 120 ml)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) light coconut milk (carton beverage or canned)
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) fresh lime juice (for tartness // add to taste)
- 2 big handfuls (~60 g) fresh or frozen greens (kale + spinach are best // organic when possible)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add more liquid if it has trouble blending. Add ice to thicken. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more banana to sweeten, or lime juice for tartness.
- Best when fresh, though leftovers keep well-covered in the refrigerator up to 2 days.