Oh hey giant Almond Butter Cup Bar in my face. And hello to you, friends!
I hope you’ve had an amazing August, which is now officially in the books.
Here we are yet again to recap all that went down in the past month, including what we did, what we made, and what we’re into (aka internet links galore). Let’s get started with eats!
1. Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea Burgers // 2. My Go-To Smoothie Bowl (5 Minutes!) // 3. No Bake Almond Butter Cup Bars // 4. 3-Ingredient Tahini Sauce For Everything // 5. The Ultimate Mediterranean Bowl // 6. Best Watermelon Margaritas (3 Ingredients!) // 7. My Go-To Avocado Toast // 8. Watermelon Sashimi // 9. 20-Minute Asian Kale Salad // 10. Coconut Red Curry with Chickpeas
In case you didn’t notice, we started posting recipes every three days instead of every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, in an effort to slow down, refocus, and create even higher quality recipes.
It felt a little odd and unnatural at first, almost like we’d cut the engine from our plane and were all of the sudden coasting into the unknown. But with our highest priority on being quality over quantity, we feel like this is a step in the right direction. Plus, it means I have even more time to perfect blog recipes, dream up amazing bonus recipes, work on cookbooks, and more.
Which recipe was your favorite this month? I couldn’t stop eating the Almond Butter Cup Bars or the Mediterranean Bowl. Obviously.
What We Did //
- We went to Vancouver, B.C. and met you lovely Canadians! Thank you so much to everyone who showed up for our cooking event (co-hosted by Erin Ireland) and the book signing. I loved meeting you (in person!) and learning about why you’re into simple, plant-based cooking. We don’t have any more official events planned at the moment, but as we do we’ll add them to our events page (and announce them on the blog/social). Stay tuned! (image by Katie Huisman)
- We sent out a bangin’ Bonus Recipe on August 1 for Chocolate Protein Pudding 2 Ways! Don’t forget to sign up for our email list to receive Minimalist Baker updates + a free, exclusive recipe to your inbox every month that won’t be shared anywhere else! Sign up here.
- We visited New York City for the first time EVER and fell in love. The restaurants, the buildings, the people, the vibe – I was swept up in the magic of it all. We can’t wait to go back soon. See what we got up to here and here.
- We also made a quick trip to Mountain View, California and did a cooking demo and shared about our cookbook at the Google Headquarters! (I know, GOOGLE.) It was super fun and we met a ton of cool people. Mostly though, we just fangirled the whole time.
- Lastly, we updated our About Page with a new photo and some new information about who we are, why we make the recipes we do, and where you can follow us outside of the blog. Go check it out!
What I’m Into //
Follow – Need a new Instagrammer to stalk? How about @sobeautifullyraw for breathtaking photos of vegan food? You’re welcome.
Read – Want to sob like a baby and stay up ’til 1 a.m. reading the sweetest, saddest book of your life? Then don’t miss When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. The other book I devoured this month was Dr. Axe’s Eat Dirt, which dives deep into the world of the microbiome. Axe makes a case for the many ways our gut health has likely been compromised and what we can do to fix it (with simple diet and lifestyle changes). Yes, please.
Watch – We’ve started re-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix this month and I have to say, it’s even better the second time. Where all my Andy Dwyer fans at?
Stalk – There seems to be mixed thoughts on Instagram’s new Stories function. I, for one, am a fan. For me, it means one less app to manage! I liked Snapchat, but if I can centralize what I’m sharing in one place I’m all for it. At first it felt like “one more thing” to worry about, but then I remembered I can choose how much or how little I share on social media, which is why most of my stories will be primarily what I’m doing in the kitchen. What are your thoughts? Are you ‘yay’ or ‘nay’ on Instagram stories?
What We’re Craving //
Here’s a sneak peek of what we’re craving in September: Simple, protein-packed, plant-based goodness. Stay tuned for SO many delicious recipes to come!
xo – Dana